[Splashy-devel] initramfs progress in Sid

Luis lemsx1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 01:53:06 UTC 2006

I installed Splashy in a clean Sid system using the Splashy 0.1.8.1-3
package from Sid's repository and followed the README as is to enable
Splashy from initramfs. The only steps I didn't do were those related
to finding unicode_* commands in initrc scripts and dealing with
them... that didn't seem to be an issue in Sid.

After Splashy starts from initramfs, it gets killed and restarted at
least 2 times by splashy-init (or so it feels). I went to splashy_init
and remove the code in "start_server" that calls "$SERVER" $command
and "starts" the Splashy daemon. Removing that allowed Splashy from
initramfs to run by itself until the point that one of the pesky
unicode_* commands get started. At that point the boot process is
stopped and Splashy dies 2 min later (because it's not receiving input
from the FIFO file).

I'll continue working on this... I'm guessing that the unicode_* stuff
might not be the culprit here... We might be facing a fundamental
issue with initramfs processes. (filehandles left open?)

--
Luis Mondesi

Kiskeyix.org

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html