[Splashy-devel] Splashy: initramfs done (?)

Luis lemsx1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 23:03:30 UTC 2006

On 10/8/06, Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org> wrote:
> Luis <lemsx1 at gmail.com> writes:
> > Now, the reason why splashy takes 100% of the CPU seems to be tied to
> > these 3 things:
> > 1. keymap.sh
> > 2. console-screen.sh
> > 3. console switching while Splashy is running
>
> That's ugly. We need another way of doing that.
>
> I did a look in console-screen.sh and found that:
>
> ,----[ /etc/init.d/console-screen.sh ]
> | if [ -d /etc/console-tools/config.d ]; then
> |     for i in `run-parts --list /etc/console-tools/config.d `; do
> |        . $i
> |     done
> | fi
> `----
>
> and then we might add a script, in splashy package, that avoid it to
> run _when_ we're running splashy. That might be trivial to do since
> the code is evalueded.
>
> Regarting keymap.sh, we have another easy solution.
>
> We can write a small wrapper that checks if splashy is running and the
> fail the loadkeys. So the following code will avoid keymap.sh to run:
>
> ,----[ /etc/init.d/keymap.sh ]
> | # fail silently if loadkeys not present (yet).
> | command -v loadkeys >/dev/null 2>&1 || QUIT=1
> `----

Sounds good. We can release 0.2.x as is and say clearly "initramfs is
experimental". Then we can re-focus our attention into getting 0.4 off
the ground and GSplashy!

I feel that to really know what's going on with initramfs one needs to
read the source code of udev, init and whatever else is called...

Tim, I uploaded the package for 0.2 to debian/incoming in Alioth.

--
Luis Mondesi

Kiskeyix.org

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html