[Splashy-devel] ArchLinux report

Luis Mondesi lemsx1 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 06:35:28 UTC 2008

Following a suggestion by some members of the ArchLinux community, I took
the plunge and install this distro on an instance of vmware on my machine.

The steps I took to install Splashy on ArchLinux are the following:

- downloaded ArchLinux x86_64 (arch-core-install-2008.04-rc-x86_64.iso)
- logged in as root after installation:
  - installed all upgrades: pacman --sync --sysupgrade
  - installed all the development tools needed for splashy: pacman --sync
git-core automake make gcc autoconf glib2 directfb openssh ccache
  - cd /usr/local/bin
  - ln -s /usr/bin/ccache gcc; ln -s /usr/bin/ccache cc; ln -s
/usr/bin/ccache g++; ln -s /usr/bin/ccache c++
  - export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
- compiled Splashy from Git
  - mkdir -p ~/Develop
  - cd ~/Develop
  - git clone ssh://git.debian.org/git/splashy/splashy.git
  - cp -r splashy /tmp/splashy
  - cd /tmp/splashy
  - ./autogen.sh --prefix=/
  - make && make install

Everything worked perfectly well.

I then ran (from an ssh session) "splashy test" and it worked fine:

[root at localhost ~]# /sbin/splashy test
[root at localhost ~]# pkill splashy
(!) [ 6077:    0.000] --> Caught signal 15 (sent by pid 6085, uid 0) <--
[root at localhost ~]# (!) [ 6083:    0.072] --> Caught signal 11 (sent by the
kernel) <--

Yes, killing the test is not a nice thing. We can disregard this message for
now.

I then followed part of the howto from
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Splashy (enough to put Splashy on
initramfs). At this point I had to stop because I do not understand this
much of ArchLinux to be able to put Splashy on the initramfs image. It was a
good exercise nonetheless.

Regards,

--
Luis Mondesi

----- START ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------
Gur Hohagh [Yvahk] qvfgevohgvba oevatf gur fcvevg bs Hohagh gb gur fbsgjner
jbeyq.
----- END ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------