[Splashy-devel] Error -3

Luis Mondesi lemsx1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 14:57:12 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Marcin Kulisz
<Marcin.Kulisz at stanleybet.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
> Can anyone tell me what ERROR -3 means?
>
> Basically I'm receiving:
> ----
> Splashy ERROR: Couldn't splashy_start_splashy(). Error -3
> ----
> When trying to start splashy.
>
> All hints very welcome and thx
>
> --
> Marcin Kulisz

Hello,
This error comes from splashy/src/splashy_video.c return -3 .

It means that your image could not be displayed. The reason could be either
missing (wrong path) or corrupted (wrong format).

The first thing to test would be whether the image is in the place where
it's supposed to be, like:

* "is /etc/splashy/themes a symlink to a directory in a partition that's not
yet mounted during boot?" This is very common as the debian package installs
themes in /usr/... and some people have desktops whose /usr folder comes
from a partition or another disk. This idea is good for servers, but for
desktops it creates problems. Ubuntu users don't see this problem because
Ubuntu is meant to be simple for end-users from a desktop point of view.

* "is /etc/splashy/themes also in initramfs" You will need to extract your
initrd image and see it's content to ensure that the files are copied
correctly there. I tend to do this a lot so: cd /tmp; mkdir `uname -r`; cd
`uname -r`; cat /boot/initrd.img-`uname -r`| gzip -c| cpio -i ... you get
the idea.

* "is your image PNG format?" We disabled other formats by default when
compiling Splashy. Ensure that your images are PNG and you will have no
problems.

You might want to ensure that your FB is correctly configured (after boot)
by using dfbinfo or similar tool. All that is documented in Splashy's
website (FAQ and the like).

http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/wiki

Regards,

--
Luis Mondesi

----- START ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------
Gur Hohagh [Yvahk] qvfgevohgvba oevatf gur fcvevg bs Hohagh gb gur fbsgjner
jbeyq.
----- END ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------