[Splashy-users] verbose text

Luis M lemsx1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 03:27:35 UTC 2006

Sorry... my little one hit ENTER and the email was sent by mistake...

On 4/13/06, Luis M <lemsx1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/13/06, Dean Montgomery <dmonty at sd73.bc.ca> wrote:
> > > umm... you are not using splashy from our svn repository right?
> >
> > /etc/apt/sources.list
> > deb http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/debian unstable main
>
> That's good. I'll try to put only known good packages there then...
> That repository is meant for developers testing splashy.

Soon we will upload splashy to Sid (debian testing) and it will go
into Etch if there is no serious bugs in it.

> > I only took the /etc/init.d/splashy-init from cvs because it worked better.  I
> > did not have the build environment configured on the diskless client.

Ah, i see. Good to know.

> > In our school district we have found that it is easiest to let the package
> > maintainers look after the software.   There are ~60 schools.  Every time we
> > "hack" a package the more maintenance we create for ourselves.  Our goal is
> > to provide a full-featured desktop for the students with minimal changes as
> > possible.  This will allow for easy upgrades in the future.

I understand. That's a huge undertaking that you guys are doing.
Again, as soon as 0.1.8 gets released splashy would be maintained in a
"stable" mode and we will start working on 0.2.x which is the new
branch. Splashy 0.1.9 would contain only bug fixes and such... And
0.2.x will containg new features and other improvements. A meeting
will be held about the direction Splashy will be headed in the next
major version. You, as well as all splashy-users readers, are welcome
to join us on IRC or send your suggestions to us the usual way
(splashy-users, splashy-devel or our bug tracking system under feature
requests).

> > Splashy is going onto our latest school image.  The first high school to see
> > it will be September 2006.  If the new image is successful then we will start
> > updating all the schools.

We are glad to be of service for such a noble cause. Keep up letting
children be amazed by the wonders of the penguin!

--
Luis Mondesi

Kiskeyix.org

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html