[Splashy-users] splashy and Graphics Card's native fb driver

Vincenzo Ampolo vincenzo.ampolo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 17:53:29 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 01:21 -0700, Kushal Koolwal wrote:
> I always thought that the newer vesion of splashy (for sarge) does not use
> libdirecfb package any more. Even when I installed the splashy version
> splashy_0.1.8-0sarge40_i386.deb it did not asked for any other package
> dependencies and it intalled smoothly. Am I missing something here?

You right.. it didn't ask for libdirectfb because splshy is compiled
statically with that library unless splashy will not work well
if /usr/lib is not in the same partition as /

> Yeah the Vesa works fine with splashy, but my Graphics Cards is having some
> problem with the Vesa Frame buffer driver (like switching from X to console
> mode, the screen goes blank) and therefore I am using the native Graphics
> Card's Fb driver(gxfb).

Uhm... do you mean that after the boot you reach a blank screen? do you
see the progressbar filled (with vesa driver)? Or do you see a blank
screen after a while that you logged in gnome/kde?

> Update: I just used the older splashy version splashy_0.1.5.svn28_i386.deb
> and it asked for libdirectfb package and I installed it and it is working
> fine with my fb driver. But I would like to use the newer version of splashy
> since it has many new features and less bugs.
>
> Thanks for looking into this.

In any case, try the latest stable release that you can download from
http://packages.debian.org/splashy

packages for ubuntu dapper are on the way... you will see them in dapper
universe or edgy...

--
Vincenzo Ampolo
http://www.nanofreesoft.org