[Splashy-users] splashy and Graphics Card's native fb driver

Kushal Koolwal kushalkoolwal at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 16 00:36:34 UTC 2006

Kushal Koolwal

>On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 01:21 -0700, Kushal Koolwal wrote:
> > I always thought that the newer vesion of splashy (for sarge) does not
>use
> > libdirecfb package any more. Even when I installed the splashy version
> > splashy_0.1.8-0sarge40_i386.deb it did not asked for any other package
> > dependencies and it intalled smoothly. Am I missing something here?
>
>You right.. it didn't ask for libdirectfb because splshy is compiled
>statically with that library unless splashy will not work well
>if /usr/lib is not in the same partition as /
>

> > Yeah the Vesa works fine with splashy, but my Graphics Cards is having
>some
> > problem with the Vesa Frame buffer driver (like switching from X to
>console
> > mode, the screen goes blank) and therefore I am using the native
>Graphics
> > Card's Fb driver(gxfb).
>
>Uhm... do you mean that after the boot you reach a blank screen? do you
>see the progressbar filled (with vesa driver)? Or do you see a blank
>screen after a while that you logged in gnome/kde?

1. If i use vesafb and boot normally into my fluxbox manager, then when I do
a shutdown/restart my screen goes blank, that's why I said that my system is
not able to switch from X to framebuffer console mode. This is irrespective
of whether I splashy or not. This is some BIOS related problem. And
therefore in order to fix it I have to use the gxfb driver which is the
native driver for my Graphics Card.

2.No I don;t see progress bar if I use the latest splashy with my gxfb
driver.  But the latest splashy works fine with vesafb but then I have
problems when I shutdown/restart my machine because the screen goes
blank(and I understand it is not related to splashy).

3.That;s why I would like to use my gxfb driver with splashy with 1024x768
resolution during the boot (frambuffer console) which I am not able to. It
gives me errors like /dev/fb0 unwrittable as I mentioned in my first post. I
can only use gxfb with splashy at 640x480 and in that too the image is quite
distored and I can't see the progress bar(see point 1).

4.Lastly to remind, I am having no problems with old splash_0.1.5 version
but i said before I would prefer to use the latest package.

5. Also you suggested me to use the package from the unstable debian branch.
Well I can't use that because it requires libc6 and as I said before I am
using Sarge which does not libc6 version of C libraries. I don't want to
upgrade my system.

Hope this clears all the confusion.

Once again, thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Kushal