[Splashy-users] splashy and Graphics Card's native fb driver

Vincenzo Ampolo vincenzo.ampolo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 22:20:39 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 17:36 -0700, Kushal Koolwal wrote:

> 1. If i use vesafb and boot normally into my fluxbox manager, then when I do
> a shutdown/restart my screen goes blank, that's why I said that my system is
> not able to switch from X to framebuffer console mode. This is irrespective
> of whether I splashy or not. This is some BIOS related problem. And
> therefore in order to fix it I have to use the gxfb driver which is the
> native driver for my Graphics Card.
>
> 2.No I don;t see progress bar if I use the latest splashy with my gxfb
> driver.  But the latest splashy works fine with vesafb but then I have
> problems when I shutdown/restart my machine because the screen goes
> blank(and I understand it is not related to splashy).
>
> 3.That;s why I would like to use my gxfb driver with splashy with 1024x768
> resolution during the boot (frambuffer console) which I am not able to. It
> gives me errors like /dev/fb0 unwrittable as I mentioned in my first post. I
> can only use gxfb with splashy at 640x480 and in that too the image is quite
> distored and I can't see the progress bar(see point 1).

Probably the problem is related with the main library used by splashy
that does not work well with your driver (this is why 640*480 works and
1024*768 don't)

> 4.Lastly to remind, I am having no problems with old splash_0.1.5 version
> but i said before I would prefer to use the latest package.
>
> 5. Also you suggested me to use the package from the unstable debian branch.
> Well I can't use that because it requires libc6 and as I said before I am
> using Sarge which does not libc6 version of C libraries. I don't want to
> upgrade my system.

Since you don't want to upgrade your system i suggest you to use
splashy-0.1.5. Or if you still want to install the lastest splashy-0.1.8
you should compile it in sarge, with all the dependecies.
This means that you should build: splashy, libdirectfb and many other
packages. In this way you will get a fresh splashy package in a sarge
environment.

> Hope this clears all the confusion.
It did :D

> Once again, thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Thanks to you for using splashy...

--
Vincenzo Ampolo
http://www.nanofreesoft.org