[Splashy-users] Advices for minimalistic-usplash, fb_vesa and standard usplash (Was: just a sad blank screen)

Matteo Zandi matteo.zandi at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 09:37:03 UTC 2006

> I guess minimalist-usplash can be merged into usplash itself. no need
> for two projects to do the same thing.

Reading the author's note, I understand he patched usplash so that boot
messages are thrown away, anyway it would be a good idea to make
minimalist-usplash just a theme of standard usplash.

I also noticed that, enabling fb_vesa in the kernel, I'm now able to run
standard usplash with my custom kernel, I'd like to know the following two
things:

1) how come that fb_vesa was not enabled in my own kernel config? I copied
the standard ubuntu kernel config and then 'make oldconfig', why that option
was not preserved?

2) a lot of people on ubuntuforums complain that they are not able to use
usplash after a custom kernel compilation, do they only need to enable
fb_vesa option, like I did? If so, I'd like to clear this on the forums.

Thanks,
Matteo