[Splashy-users] Re: Advices for minimalistic-usplash, fb_vesa and standard usplash (Was: just a sad blank screen)

Luis lemsx1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 19:14:29 UTC 2006

On 8/27/06, Matteo Zandi <matteo.zandi at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I guess minimalist-usplash can be merged into usplash itself. no need
> > for two projects to do the same thing.
>
> Reading the author's note, I understand he patched usplash so that boot
> messages are thrown away, anyway it would be a good idea to make
> minimalist-usplash just a theme of standard usplash.
>
>  I also noticed that, enabling fb_vesa in the kernel, I'm now able to run
> standard usplash with my custom kernel, I'd like to know the following two
> things:
>
> 1) how come that fb_vesa was not enabled in my own kernel config? I copied
> the standard ubuntu kernel config and then 'make oldconfig', why that option
> was not preserved?
>
> 2) a lot of people on ubuntuforums complain that they are not able to use
> usplash after a custom kernel compilation, do they only need to enable
> fb_vesa option, like I did? If so, I'd like to clear this on the forums.

usplash doesn't really use vesafb, they use vga16fb or something like
that. If that one is not found, then they fallback to vesafb (module).

in order for vesafb to work correctly, it should be compile-in the
kernel (this is since kernel 2.6.12 or so). but, all the stock kernels
still compile vesafb as module (ubuntu/debian and such). it works,
it's just not necesary. the vesa driver for the framebuffer is only
active if vga= is passed as kernel param. so, in my case, i always
compile-in the driver.

lately i'm using stock kernels though. and i have no complaints
(ubuntu edgy here. 2.6.17.x kernels)

--
Luis Mondesi

Kiskeyix.org

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html