[Splashy-users] Verbose mode

Luis Mondesi lemsx1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 23:24:35 UTC 2007

Hello,

On 4/26/07, Darwin Bautista <djclue917 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please do not mind my first post. It seems that it's not an issue with
> verbose mode after all.

good

The problems that I encounter are due to Splashy running from
> initramfs. I did a quick hack and made Splashy run "normally" after
> the filesystems are mounted. I noticed that everything went fine--no
> problems or whatsoever encountered; verbose mode works fine; no lines
> on top of the screen, etc.

Splashy from initramfs is an ongoing bug. Nothing we do seems to fix this
issue. I heard that upstart was supposed to fix this problem for us as
Splashy from initramfs works just fine when init is replaced by upstart.
Don't take my word for it though.

If you want to discuss this further, please join us at #splashy on
irc.freenode.net.

Here's my new query:
> What are the prerequisites for running Splashy from initramfs? I don't
> know what I'm missing here because I don't know the internals of
> Splashy.
>
> (BTW, FYI, Splashy is compiled statically.)
>
> * Does Splashy need some DirectFB libs or any other libs to be
> included in the initramfs image too?

Splashy itself runs from initramfs just fine, as it is an app. But when some
nifty rcS script runs and sends some characters to reset the TTYs, this
corrupts the terminals causing the boot process to stop for some, and to set
Splashy to 100% of the CPU for others. If you look at the archives for the
splashy-devel mailing list you will see a nice post by Pat that details the
problem and pin-points the answer. The problem is that we have not been able
to work around this.

* Would Splashy work even if it "cannot find" or doesn't have rw
> access to its fifo file? (I'm just making sure that the progress bar
> scrolling/printing of text wouldn't work if the fifo file isn't
> accessible by Splashy.)

(Please do not use top-post as many people  get deeply offended by it... )

--
Luis Mondesi

"Feliz el hombre que ha hallado sabiduria y el hombre que consigue
discernimiento, porque el tenerla como ganancia es mejor que tener la plata
como ganancia; y el tenerla como producto, [mejor] que el oro mismo" (Prov
3:13-14)