[Splashy-users] splashy shows shutdown screen but not the boot up screen

Luigi lemsx1 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 19:22:18 CET 2007

is splashy compiled statically? (hint: ldd /sbin/splashy)
if it is not, do you have /usr mounted from a separate partition? (hint:
mount | grep usr)

I cannot think of any reason why this is not working for you... Did you
check that /etc/rcS.d/S01splashy is there? is it executable? can you add an
interactive shell before splashy gets started from that script and execute
it manually?

cat /etc/rcS.d/S01splashy
#!/bin/sh
# this script starts splash

/bin/sh
# EOF

At that point you will be in a shinny #> prompt. Just type "/sbin/splashy
boot". That should at least tell you what the problem is.

Check the FAQ section in the wiki for more. http://splashy.alioth.debian.org

On 2/25/07, Philip Rutkowski <phil at quietthenloud.net> wrote:

> hi all!
>
> i am running ubuntu 6.10 on amd 64 architecture. i compiled and
> installed splashy 0.2.1 just fine.
>
> i have a problem with the boot up screen. when my computer shuts down or
> restarts, splashy does its thing. AND IT DOES IT WELL!!!
>
> but then when it boots up, it doesn't run! i have no splash images
> whatsoever. it's only text! my guess is that grub doesn't know to launch
> splashy. does anyone have any ideas? something i could try?
>
> i set /boot/grub/menu.lst to:
>
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-11-generic root=/dev/hda1 ro splash vga=791
> quiet
>
> thanks in advance!!!
> -phil

----)(-----
Luis Mondesi
*NIX Guru

"Feliz el hombre que ha hallado sabiduria y el hombre que consigue
discernimiento, porque el tenerla como ganancia es mejor que tener la plata
como ganancia; y el tenerla como producto, [mejor] que el oro mismo" (Prov
3:13-14).

01010101 01110011
01100101 00100000
01010101 01100010