[Splashy-users] splashy v3.3 on Ubuntu Feisty Fawn - progress bar not working

Ivars Strazdins ivars.strazdins at sets.lv
Thu Jun 28 15:52:22 UTC 2007

Hello Vincent,
thank you for answer.

>> 1) progress bar not working;
>>

> That may come from this steps:
>
>> 3. changed /etc/default/splashy line
>> ENABLE_INITRAMFS=0 to ENABLE_INITRAMFS=1
>> 4. regenerated initrd
>> sudo update-initramfs -u

This ended with no splash screen at all. At boot time I get these messages:

Reading files needed to boot...
(Re)generating splash steps for:sed: can't read /etc/inittab, no such
file of directory
And usual text boot messages continue to appear with no graphics whatsoever.
>   But this problem can come from the fact ubuntu doesn't have
> the /lib/init/rw directory, we use it to store the progress steps, you
> may look at if this directory exists (a splashy sub-directory should be
> present too).  Without this directory the progress bar can't work,
> except if you change this path in the splashy init file.

Sorry, I don't understand, should I change this path in
/etc/splashy/config.xml ?
And where do I create /lib/init/rw , in my root filesystem or in
initramfs image?
>> 2) "splashy test" fails with
>> Splashy ERROR: Couldn't splashy_start_splashy(). Error -2
>> and leaves crash dump in /var/crash
>>

> It's probably because you aren't root, try with sudo splashy test.

This helped indeed.

With kind regards,
Ivars