[Splashy-users] autochange background image

Luis Mondesi lemsx1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 16:28:36 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 14:58 +0100, Xun wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to have a splash screen with a different image on every
> boot. The idea is, to pass the boot time with a new comic strip on every
> startup. I tried to realize that with usplash (wrote a shell script to
> download a new comic strip, create a png with it and compile the .so
> file) but that only works if i update initramfs every time. So i only
> have the choice to give the script admin rights and type my password on
> every startup or lower my system security by changing the write access
> for /boot. As i couldnt find a way around this with usplash i am looking
> for alternatives.
> Is this possible with splashy without updating initramfs after every
> update of the used image?

Nice idea!

Unfortunately, you will need to update initramfs on every boot with the
new image.

The only alternative (without updating initramfs) would be to use
splashy outside of initramfs by editing /etc/default/splashy and
changing:

ENABLE_INITRAMFS=0

This means that Splashy comes directly from the drive after the kernel
finishes with initrd. This could translate in users seeing some text
messages while some sub-systems are being initialized (on Ubuntu you
might not even see any text at all, just a blank screen that takes
longer than usual).

Hope this helps