[Splashy-users] Problems using splashy on Kubuntu gutsy

Luis Mondesi lemsx1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 03:15:22 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Luca Bonora <dragon_fog at email.it> wrote:
> I don't understand!Here
>  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+source/splashy/+changelog says that
>  the problems I have written are solved from version 0.3.8-1...

Usually these errors translate to a bad framebuffer driver (or not
properly initiated). A few things to hint where the problem lies:

cat /proc/fb

That should show: 0 ... VESA ...

ls -l /dev/fb0 ?? this device is needed.

cat /proc/cmdline

vga=NNN should be in the output of that as well as "splash"

is Splashy running from initramfs?

cat /etc/default/splashy |grep -i initramfs

if the output has a 1 (true), then extract your initrd.img* file and
ensure that sbin/splashy exists:

mkdir -p /tmp/initrd
cd /tmp/initrd
cat /boot/initrd.img-`uname -r` | gzip -d | cpio -i
ls -l sbin/splashy

if all those things are in place, the only other thing that I can
think of is a bad framebuffer driver... using VESAFB is always the
best option.

Hope this helps, and sorry for the late response. Have been out sick...

--
Luis Mondesi

----- START ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------
Gur Hohagh [Yvahk] qvfgevohgvba oevatf gur fcvevg bs Hohagh gb gur
fbsgjner jbeyq.
----- END ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------