[Stardata-common-devel] Re: stardata-common package

Kevin B. McCarty kmccarty@Princeton.EDU
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:04:30 -0400

On 10/27/2004 05:25 PM, Francisco Garc=C3=ADa wrote:

> Last week I sent a message to stardata-common mail list, but I still
> haven't received an answer from both of you. So, I suppose that you
> haven't subscribed to that list.

Oops, somehow it slipped my mind.  Just subscribed now.

On 10/19/2004 12:58 AM, Francisco Garc=C3=ADa wrote:

> 1.- Is /etc/stardata.d/ the best location for the astronomy packages
> scripts?. I think that /usr/lib/stardata-common or
> /usr/share/stardata-common/ could be another good possible locations fo=
> this.
> I think that the scripts aren't conff files, so /usr/lib could be a goo=
> place, because the scripts are executable.
> What do you think?

I agree with this and with Javi's comments on the same matter -- let's
change the RFC to specify /usr/lib/stardata-common.  I think usr/lib is
preferable to usr/share since some package might conceivably want to use
compiled executables for its star data conversion programs, instead of
shell/perl/whatever scripts.

> 2.- Javier, What's exactly the difference between 'all' and 'any' in
> register-stardata parameters. If both words means the same, Could we us=
> only one word?, for example 'all'.

This sounds fine to me.

> 3.- Should each stardata package Depends upon stardata-common when this
> stardata can be convert to any format?

This I'm not sure of.  On one hand, I don't see any reason for stardata
packages to depend upon stardata-common, since all the data conversion
scripts will be in the astronomy program packages.  On the other hand,
it's nice if the RFC is available for the local admin to read whenever
even a data package is installed.  So I guess I am in favor of having
all data packages depend upon stardata-common, as long as
stardata-common doesn't get too big (which it shouldn't).

best regards,

- --
GPG public key ID: 4F83C751                 Princeton, NJ 08544