[Stardata-common-devel] stardata-common uploaded to alioth

Francisco García franciscomanuel.garcia@hispalinux.es
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:37:27 +0200

--=-peG8PtoL4pnFPWJP4Mq4

Hi Kevin,

Thanks to review the program.

El vie, 08-04-2005 a las 22:38, Kevin B. McCarty escribi=F3:=20
> Hi Francisco, Javi,
>=20
> Francisco Garc=EDa wrote:
>=20
> > Soon, I will prepare an Starplot and Gliese package according to
> > stardata-common policy.
>=20
> Cool!  May I suggest that you remove the starplot format conversion spec=20
> files from the gliese and yale packages, and instead put them into the=20
> starplot package somewhere?  (Maybe in /usr/share/starplot/specfiles/ or=20
> somewhere like that.)  I guess the new starplot package will have to=20
> Depend upon stardata-common, and Conflict against older versions of=20
> gliese and yale, right?
>=20
Ok, I will see it.

> > By now, I have made a stardata-common native Debian package too,
> > and you can find in:
> >=20
> > http://usuarios.lycos.es/franciscogarciac/debian/stardata-common/
>=20
> I just had a chance to look at it.  I am attaching a patch to try to=20
> make some of the English flow a little more smoothly.
>=20
Thank you, I am sorry but my english isn't as good as I would like.
Now, I'm going to fix it.

> I'm wondering why you chose to write register-stardata in C.  It seems=20
> to me that maybe it would be a little easier to maintain this sort of=20
> program in shell or perl.  (Also it would allow stardata-common to be=20
> Arch: all instead of Arch: any.)  Please do not take this as criticism,=20
> I am sure you have good reasons for this choice - I just am curious to=20
> know them :-)
>=20
Well, I was thinking to write it in C or shell script. Finally I
decided to do in C because the parsing system Argp is simple and easy
to manage commnad line arguments. And, the function of
register-stardata is very simple, so I thought the C code would be easy
to read and optimal.
But, maybe the code would be easier to maintain if it were written in=20
shell script. If you agree with it, I could rewrite the code in shell in
next versions.

> By the way, I am intending to ITP a hipparcos-data package at some=20
> point, just to let you know.  But it may not happen until my doctoral=20
> thesis is finished, several months from now :-(  After it happens, we=20
> may want to get into discussion with the stellarium maintainer.
>=20
Right.=20

About your other comment,
actually register-stardata program go in /usr/sbin, in my Debian package
and in the source package.
Did you find something wrong on it?.

> best regards,

Best regards,