[Tahoe-debian] fixing tahoe in ubuntu

bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org
Thu Jul 21 10:22:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 11:04:38AM +0200, Julian Taylor wrote:
> On 07/21/2011 10:51 AM, micah anderson wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > It seems to make sense to me to just sync the debian version to
> > ubuntu. But, I think that we need to make contact with the ubuntu
> > developer about this.

Actually I think I send him a private email to begin to talk about a way
to coordinate, as well as replied in a thread on the tahoe-dev mailing
list he was participating in, but so far never had an answer.

> Sorry I though the debian and ubuntu packagers where the same group.
> I spoke with Zooko O'Whielacronx and David-Sarah Hopwood about this too,
> and was informed that will be a 1.9 release before or shortly after the
> ubuntu feature freeze (11. Aug). So if that can be packaged quickly the
> 1.8.2 sync can probably be skipped.

I guess that could be a strategy, so we'd have to be very reactive when
the 1.9 version will be released. Still it depends if the ubuntu devs use
our sources or not.

> >> - patch out the pycryptopp version dependency, reasonably save as the
> >> ubuntu version uses an up to date libcryptopp, it would screw some users
> >> who for some reason have a very old local pycryptopp installation

Not sure this must be a use case supported by the Debian/Ubuntu packages.

> >> - try to get an ACK on backporting pycryptopp from the release team.
>
> I went ahead and requested the latter:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pycryptopp/+bug/811721

Very nice, thanks for your work on this.

One question though, as I'm not very sure how the Debian/Ubuntu relation
behaves on this : won't the new pycryptopp package from Debian be
automatically be imported in the next Ubuntu release, or does it depends
on some ubuntu dev agreement?

bert.