[Tahoe-debian] tahoe package state

bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org
Mon May 2 15:47:28 UTC 2011

Hi,

Now that zfec is ready to get into Debian (at least I believe), last step
is to finish the tahoe-lafs package.

At the moment it is in a shape where it might be uploaded. Still some
issues remains :

- It has no initscript to be handled by the system
- It doesn't respect at all Debian's FHS, as a twisted app, every part are
  included into the tahoe node directory, meaning logs are in a node
  subdir, as tmp files are, and stored files are in storage/. To be better
  integrated into Debian, logs should go to /var/log/tahoe/$NODE, tmp
  files in /tmp/tahoe/$NODE and storage into /var/lib/tahoe/$NODE or
  something like that.

I actually have resolved the first issue, I have a working initscript
based on the one from openvpn (meaning it supports node's configuration in
/etc/tahoe/$NODE, with or without different UID for each nodes). I'm just
waiting for upstream to consider to include it into its source code.

I also asked upstream how friendly they would feel to modify their source
code to better fit the Debian FHS, or if they have any idea on how to do
that.

I'd be in favor to wait this issues to be resolved first, that might not
be that long to come (I intend to commit on this), and this way we won't
have to upload a first version without fixing this, and then some time
after upload another one which fix them, plus provide a way to users to
migrate from the first version to the second.

Does this sound reasonable to you, or do you want so much to see tahoe in
Debian that you think we should go on with the package as it is now?

Thanks to have corrected the dh_clean lintian erro btw micah :)

bert