[Teammetrics-discuss] Phase I: Statistics for mailing lists on Alioth

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir.in at gmail.com
Tue May 31 11:55:49 UTC 2011

Hi,

>   For the time of testing this is no problem because you used
>   variables - however the variables relay on having config and
>   data in the same directory which is not flexible enough.

Good point, noted.

>  - I would prefer a better readable config file.  There is no need
>   for xml, but some kind of key-value syntax (perhaps RFC 822 as used
>   in many Debian related config files) comes to mind.  There should
>   also be the option to add comments.

All right. I also was somehow not comfortable with the configuration
file. The RFC being a Debian config file standard is a good idea.

>  - I tried with
> $ cat ~/.teammetrics/listinfo
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/
> blends-commit
> cdd-commits
> teammetrics-discuss

Woah! If you notice the URL:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/cdd-commits/. The February
2009 mbox is in plain text instead of gzip and this is what caused the
problem. I can add an exception but this is a weird and an exceptional
case itself!

Otherwise it works. You can try it with some other lists, just for
confirmation.

> Nono, this thingy should run silently in a cron job or something like
> this.  For the purpose of debugging / developing this is fine.  Perhaps
> you might use a DEBUG variable which controls the output and enables
> switching it to complete silence if everything works as expected.

I somehow suspected that we would want it to run silently. I will
follow the DEBUG variable approach.

> Logfile would be probably a good idea.

Ok.

> Yes, thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to implement them soon and then
we will proceed.

> PS: I hope list admins will be able to fix the subscription issue.

Don't worry, I will ping you every time I send an email until this is fixed :-)