[Teammetrics-discuss] [GSoC] Getting Started :)

Vipin Nair swvist at gmail.com
Wed May 2 16:47:34 UTC 2012

Hi Sukhbir/Andreas,

I have just finished my examinations at college and I am free now and I can
work on this project full time. I have sent Ana the contact details that
she had asked for and I have uploaded all the docs required on melange
except for one which i'll do in a day or two.

I will need some information to get started. The web framework that is
suggested in the project details on the wiki is Django/Pylons, but with the
scope of the project being limited, I believe the Flask Web framework[1]
will suffice and latest version of Flask is already packaged in Debian.

I would like to know if Flask is acceptable as the web framework, and if
not please do tell me, what the desired framework is, so that I can get
acquainted with it before the coding period.

I will also be testing various JavaScript libraries that for client side
data visualization and pick one that is suitable and work on it for the
time being.

I am also planning to follow a test driven development methodology, so i'll
be looking into unit testing. I am relatively new to this, so I might need
some time to get familiar with this.

If possible, I will like to have a database/schema dump so that I could
have some idea as to what kind of visualization can be possible and maybe
also identify some metrics that can be derived out of existing data.

I hope to do all this in next two weeks. Please do tell me what else should
I be doing next, and do tell me what do you think of the activities I have
mentioned above. I'll set up a blog soon where I intend to document the
project progress and probably the outcome of some study I'll be doing as
part o this project.

[1] http://flask.pocoo.org/

Thank You.

--