[Teammetrics-discuss] [GSoC] Getting Started :)

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir.in at gmail.com
Thu May 3 20:44:16 UTC 2012

Hi,

>> I have just finished my examinations
>
> ... our crossing fingers had hopefully helped. :-)

:)

>> I will need some information to get started. The web framework that is
>> [...]
>> will suffice and latest version of Flask is already packaged in Debian.
>
> I'm not an web framework expert at all and finally can not be of much
> [...]
> here is that it will finally be accepted by DSA[1] to be installable on
> a debian.org host.

I think this is the best way. Let's talk to them and ask them as to
what they have to say about this. And like we said, we didn't have any
preference for a framework, it's just that we needed it to sort of
blend in with the rest of the Debian infrastructure.

>> I would like to know if Flask is acceptable as the web framework, and if
> Perhaps you and Sukhbir might negotiate the criterion above with DSA.

Yup.

>> I am also planning to follow a test driven development methodology, so i'll
>> be looking into unit testing. I am relatively new to this, so I might need
>> some time to get familiar with this.
>
> Sounds interesting - I also wished to have more time to dive into this.

For the web interface? Feel free to go ahead.

If you are talking about the existing code, I tried once to write unit
tests for liststat.py, archiveparser.py and commitstat.py. And I
didn't make much progress because quite frankly, I couldn't think of
possible test cases that could match our requirements.

If you have any suggestions about this, please share. I don't like it
also that we don't have proper tests for our code and when I make a
big change (or even a small one) say for archiveparser.py, I have this
VM where I use the http://lists.debian.org/debian-blends/ list and
then do a sample run on that using a hacky script I wrote.

But still, this is a bad and unproductive way of doing this. I can
write a unit test for it but something seems to be 'vague' about this
test case design.

This is in my to-do for Team Metrics.

>> If possible, I will like to have a database/schema dump so that I could
>> have some idea as to what kind of visualization can be possible and maybe
>> also identify some metrics that can be derived out of existing data.
>
> Why not working straight on the host that is hosting the database
> itself?  Just send me your prefered login name and a ssh key I could
> install into your home directory on blends.debian.net.  Than you can get
> full access to the database.

:)

Feel free to ask us anything related to the database structure if you
have doubts.

--
Sukhbir