[Teammetrics-discuss] Updating commitstats

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Apr 23 09:59:30 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:54:39AM -0400, Sukhbir Singh wrote:
> Much of the efficiency problem can be solved if we just remove the code
> for calculating the number of lines changed. Since we don't use it,
> should we just get rid of that? That way perhaps I can be motivated to
> make changes to whatever problem we have.

I liked your idea with the number of lines changed even if the outcome
was not as impressive as we did expected.  Considering that we do not
use it now (and after having cross checked that it is also not uses by
the Web interface ... I have not followed Vipin's work as close as I
might have should) there is no real harm done when we drop this.
However, I'm hesitating with a clear "yes, drop this" because I think
once the code is written it can not be that hard to solve the "competing
hosts problem" even including the lines of code measure.  As I said:
Simply maintaining the metainformation on the database host instead of
vasks (if needed rsync it from/to vasks into a temporary file - whatever
is needed for the SVN access) should most probably do the trick without
a lot of other code changes.

Feeding the housekeeping data into the database instead of the files you
used what I called "real solution" is an optional thing what you might
consider as some academic training to design database applications.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de