[Teammetrics-discuss] GSoC2013 and Debian Metrics

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Tue Apr 30 12:43:14 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 04:59:13PM +0500, Boris Bobrov wrote:
> I've got a couple of questions about Debian Metrics Portal project for
> GSoC2013; I am not sure, whom should I address them, so sending to mailing
> list and Stefano directly.

Heya, first of all let me point out that the project proposal is not
strictly related to the team metrics initiative. Some of the data they
produce might be a good candidate for graphing, but that is not
necessarily so. (I.e. this list is not necessarily a good place for this
discussion to happen :-))

> 1. One of the Deliverables of the project is "standardized interface
> to add/remove metrics to be graphed (possibly with different sampling
> rate)" Where does the data to be graphed come from? Is it only UDD or
> there can be other sources?

There can be other sources. Many others in fact. Have a look at the wiki
page http://wiki.debian.org/Statistics to get an idea of the variety of
the sources.

> 2. Last year project was to create an API for metrics and as I see,
> there was some work on it (origin/web-flask branch in git repo). How
> did it go? Do I need to do some integration with it? Does the portal
> require to have some API, or all tasks will be done by humans?

I have no idea what you're talking about here, so it is probably
something specific of the *team* metrics initiative. Which, once again,
is not intimately related to my GSoC proposal.

> 3. Python templating engine (e.g. genshi, jinjia2, etc.) for the
> static part is suggested to be used. Why not use django templates?

Django templates would be fine as well, yes.

> 4. I saw a mention of https://metrics.torproject.org/ in the mailing
> list, but the description by Stefano Zacchiroli is cut out. Can I read
> it somewhere?

Not sure what you mean with cut out here. The main point is that Tor
metrics portal is a nice web interface of how to present metrics to web
users. There isn't much more than that, really.

Let me know if you need anything else,
Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o