[Utnubu-discuss] First package - Version handling?

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Tue Sep 6 16:28:06 UTC 2005

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 06.09.2005, 17:53 +0200 schrieb Oliver Grawert:
> > c)
> > Pro: Shows complete package path, further versions by us work nice
> > Con: Ugly ashell
> i'd like to point out that the -0somethingX version was chosen for a
> reason by ubuntu... we assume that if a package ever enters debian its
> first revision will be -1 which is always greater than -0anythingX so we
> can easily sync it from debian as soon as it enters ...

But then consider that packages put in by utnubu are directly derived
from the Ubuntu package, so Ubuntu probably does not _want_ these
packages again be sync'ed back. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The reason behind c) is like that: "Ubuntu, when taking a package from
Debian, adds ubuntu1, marking it as a derived package that will be
sync'ed again. As Utnubu does the same thing, just with Ubuntu packages,
we should do the same reasonable versioning by adding utnubu1,
utnubu2..."

Will we (well, Ubuntu) run into problems when there are -1 packages in
Debian which should not replace the -0ubuntu1 package in Ubuntu?

Joachim
--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer