[Utnubu-discuss] First package - Version handling?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 6 15:53:44 UTC 2005

hi,
On Di, 2005-09-06 at 17:37 +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Ubuntu-Version: -0ubuntu0
>  a) -1
>  b) -0ubuntu0
>  c) -0ubuntu0-utnubu0
>
> a)
> Pro: Looks nice
> Con: Hides original origin
>
> b)
> Pro: Looks ok, shows origin
> Con: Same as in Ubuntu, although we changed at least the Maintainer
> field
>
> c)
> Pro: Shows complete package path, further versions by us work nice
> Con: Ugly ashell
i'd like to point out that the -0somethingX version was chosen for a
reason by ubuntu... we assume that if a package ever enters debian its
first revision will be -1 which is always greater than -0anythingX so we
can easily sync it from debian as soon as it enters ...

the original origin should always be in the changelog, so if youre
really interested in it you can look it up.

;)

ciao
	oli