[Utnubu-discuss] Ubuntu patches

Philipp Kern pkern at debian.org
Sat Jan 14 15:21:45 UTC 2006

Stephan Hermann wrote:
> Well, not me. I think I made my position quiet clear, that noone will ever see
> an upload to Debian from me. I have my reasons.

Ok, I didn't know that.

> But, as you can see it now with the Ubuntu Universe Developers, they do care,
> and trying to fix issues with even packages, where upstream (in ubuntus case
> it's debian) is not responsive.

Ew. That's another problem. Debian maintainers sometimes complain that
they do not get informed about problems on the Ubuntu side of life, or
are not fed with patches. Please file bug reports with patches in
Debian's bugtracker if the maintainer is un-responsive. Like that others
could prepare NMUs and QA uploads for the package.

> The problem for us, in this case, that we don't know about those facts, that
> the maintainer don't have time anymore to work on his packages.

Well, it's no problem to contact mia at qa.debian.org -- which is a role
alias which currently goes at least to Jeroen, who you could query about
individual maintainers. Poeple who don't yet have a MIA record but for
which you query information are then checked. It's just that the MIA
database itself is not public and only accessable for DDs.

> Good thing to know, even for Debian, that development goes on, eventually not
> directly in Debian, but in Ubuntu. And if I'm not working for Ubuntu anymore,
> there are others, who will take my place, and doing the work :) (That is why
> I don't like this strict maintainer ship model of Debian)

We have open NMU season, haven't we? ;) And there are more and more
project with group maintainance. It's just that some maintainers
directly assigned to a package certainly know it and that they could
solve issues in a timely manner instead of noone caring about the
package, under the condition that they are not MIA and not overloaded
with other work.

> Solution: I'll ask some of our fellow MOTUs, who are, hooray, DDs, too, to do
> an NMU upload for the new upstream version.
> What do you think?

Not an NMU. Take it over, anyhow... e.g. do it the collaborative way,
like Reinhard suggested.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern