[Utnubu-discuss] Utnubu and collaborative maintenance with Ubuntu MOTU

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Mon Jan 16 13:03:24 UTC 2006

On 16/01/06 at 10:50 -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> On 1/16/06, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog at debian.org> wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > as you know, I'm trying to push forward collaborative maintenance with
> > Ubuntu. With several Ubuntu MOTU we'd like to make that a reality for new
> > packages created by Ubuntu.
>
> Sounds great Raphael!
>
> > (...)
> > Feel free to sponsor them ! (Just say it publicly here to avoid
> > duplication of work).
>
> I think we should involve mentors[0] (for source packages respository)
> and sponsors[1] (for a MOTU seek a sponsor) without purge collab-maint
> and utnubu svn repositories of course. It would be good if all utnubu
> members subscribe as sponsors. It doesn't mean that you'll need to
> sponsor everyone (obviously).

I'm not sure whether this is appropriate. Ubuntu already has REVU to
handle the reviewing of packages from to-be-maintainers. I'm not sure of
Raphael sees this, but I think that the collab-maint project is about
dealing with packages are already very close from the quality standards
Debian expects, since those packages are already inside Ubuntu. I'd
prefer to keep utnubu as a "frontend" where Ubuntuers could ask who
would be the most suited DD to sponsor them.

> Raphael, i'll write a article for MOTUs interested in contribute back
> in our wiki, something based on their own[3]. Do you have a url
> suggestion ? It would be cool keep both articles with the same content
> and list not only utnubu and collab-maint, but mentors and sponsors.

I think we should avoid divergence between Ubuntu and Debian, also on
the documentation level. Why not improve [3] instead of forking it ? ;)
I am the original author of [3], and am open to discussion regarding it
:-) I can also proxy your changes if you don't want to create a LP
account now. Ping me on IRC (lucas at freenode) or Jabber
(lucas at nussbaum.fr).

> [3] = http://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributingToDebian

I'm also interested in writing 2 other documents :
- a demystification of Ubuntu's development process, for DDs, explaining
  how universe, MOTU, merge/syncs, etc work.
- a demystification of Debian for Ubuntu developers, detailing the
  cultural differences between Ubuntu and Debian.

I really think that there are big misunderstandings about how both
projects work. Documenting the differences would help a lot. if someone
is willing to help with those documents, just tell me.
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas at nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |