[Utnubu-discuss] Utnubu and collaborative maintenance with Ubuntu MOTU

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Mon Jan 16 15:57:29 UTC 2006

[ It looks like your mail didn't make it on the list, that's why I keep lots of
context ]

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> On 1/16/06, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog at debian.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> > So the generic answer is: whoever integrates the package in the SVN is
> > responsible to fill the Maintainer field by checking with the various
> > parties involved.
>
> I agree.

> I'm not sure if I understood the initial announcement of utnubu
> correctly, perhaps my proposal/question is already stated there: Is
> the utnubu team open for MOTU Members, who want to
> contribute/develope/maintain their packages in ubuntu on the debian
> side? In this case, the DDs and debian users of utnubu would check the
> packaging and the integration into debian and eventually upload it to
> debian, from where ubuntu can sync from.

That's exactly how I imagine collaboration. Except that there's no need for
"formal approval" of integration inside Utnubu ... since the only right
that you really need right now, is the right to put your work in the
collab-maint SVN. For me, as soon as a MOTU starts working on packages
inside/for Debian, he's part of Utnubu. :-)

Even if the initial announcement of Utnubu is more Debian-centric, I
believe that this type of collaboration is the way to go.

> In this case, I'd like to join any time :)

You already joined ! :-)

> > This is in contradiction with your current practice, no ?
>
> From discussion on IRC: Stephans argument is that the MOTU as ubuntu
> group should not be made responsible for bugs only in debian. He is
> rather proposing that another group consiting of both DDs and MOTUs
> should care for them and be in the Maintainer Field. Utnubu could be
> the point here!

Exactly. Hence my proposal to have a list "utnubu-and-motu" for that
specific purpose.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog