[Utnubu-discuss] Utnubu superfluous? Re: [Utnubu-svn-commits] r143 - in /report-scripts: doitall.sh scottwatcher/

Gustavo Franco gustavorfranco at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 21:41:10 UTC 2006

On 7/19/06, Joachim Breitner <nomeata at debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> scottwatcher was just rightly disabled (I was planing to do that, but
> didn't get around. thanks stratus). I now pose the qustion if the Utnubu
> team shoud dissolve?

I guess not. I've some ideas that i would like to move on after we release
Etch, to ship in Etch+1 and they fit with both DCT (Ubuntu's side) and utnubu.

> We do have a few other scripts running on our webspace, but they are all
> one person's project (which is not a bad thing) and could probably
> easily move to people.d.o.

I agree, but people.d.o would be out of place IMHO. We've utnubu already and we
(as a group of volunteers) should put more work to keep it going and
not burn this
effort and let the individuals do the work without a mailing list to
discuss, simple to
identify svn repository and all that.

> And there are the 5 packages the team maintains. They can probably be
> taken over by the maintainer that originally uploaded them.

I think we never announced utnubu properly, asking volunteers to back merge
packages that are in Ubuntu but not in Debian. This is a bad thing to
do now, because
some packages can introduce RC bugs in others delaying our release. Meanwhile
we can work for a better infrastructure, not that we're bad, but we've
almost no
"promotion" (read: documentation, irc channel, announcements).

See python-modules case. It was my idea that was encouraged by fatalerror, and
after that pabs joined us. We kept it this way for months and then
buxy discovered
us in alioth. He announced the group, made some changes to the policy
i wrote and we've
now a lot of people involved, tons of packages in the svn repository,
the quality is better and
the guys seems to be happy in #debian-python (oftc).

> I'm not saying that Utnubu did a bad job. It surely did create a bit
> more awareness, which resulted for example in the pts derivative
> keyword, but as a team there is not much happening, and I don't see the
> point of dead teams -- they are probably only confusing and distracting.

This isn't a dead team really. There are quite less active projects
around. scottwatcher "joined us" after the infrastructure to check for
packages "there and not here" and our svn repository.

> But what's your opinion? Utnubu does no harm, so we might as well
> continue to do as we do now. Or maybe someone wants to step up and push
> things a bit, take a bit of a lead?

I would like to do this, but if buxy has some free time (i doubt he
has, but...) i think he will do better than me. I can help anyway.

regards,
-- stratus