[Utnubu-discuss] Re: Ubuntu patches as RSS feeds

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Wed May 24 17:15:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 06:52:44PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Believe me I am *very* interested in increasing the flow of Ubuntu pacthes
> back to Debian but if you don't do it right, you'll interest a small
> minority of Debian developers and you won't reach your goal. Something
> that is too "Ubuntu specific" will simply be discarded, it always needs to
> be part of somehting broader where the Ubuntu-Debian stuff is only a part
> of it.

That is a valid point.

> And in this case, I just believe that integrating it in the PTS is the
> right thing and that a RSS feed for Ubuntu patches only would not be much
> used.

I already have 85 distinct IPs checking feeds, based on that single blog
posting; granted, that's only a pointer, and I guess many of those won't be
using it for much, but it's a signal that there at least is _some_ interest.

The problem seems to be that at some point, one would want some kind of
filtering. Sure, I could send e-mail to <source>@packages.debian.org, but
based on previous experience, not all Debian maintainers really _want_ this
kind of information, and I'd rather not upset anyone; the issues are
sensitive enough as they are. If not, we'd have to provide some way of
pushing information into the PTS that won't automatically go out to the
maintainer, but could still be subscribed to.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/