[Utnubu-discuss] Re: Ubuntu patches as RSS feeds

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Wed May 24 16:52:44 UTC 2006

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 06:22:31PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > In the mean time, the idea of RSS is really good but the RSS shouldn't be
> > for Ubuntu patches only... it should really be RSS for the PTS! And since
> > the PTS already includes stuff for Ubuntu patches, this would only be one
> > interesting info out of everything.
>
> That sounds reasonable, yes, if slightly "on the side" of my original goal
> (increasing the flow of Ubuntu patches back into Debian).

Believe me I am *very* interested in increasing the flow of Ubuntu pacthes
back to Debian but if you don't do it right, you'll interest a small
minority of Debian developers and you won't reach your goal. Something
that is too "Ubuntu specific" will simply be discarded, it always needs to
be part of somehting broader where the Ubuntu-Debian stuff is only a part
of it.

And in this case, I just believe that integrating it in the PTS is the
right thing and that a RSS feed for Ubuntu patches only would not be much
used.

FYI I use this wiki page for the PTS development, I added a paragraph
about RSS in the PTS:
http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/pts

> Utnubu sounds like a logical place to have something like this. FWIW, there's
> a bzr repository available at
>
>   http://home.samfundet.no/~sesse/ubuntu-patches-rss/bzr/
>
> Lots of things, like paths, are hard-coded, but that is at least indeed
> what's generating those feeds.

OK, I don't have time to look further in this right now but feel free to
ask any question if you happen to start working/thinking about the
integration within the PTS.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog