[Utnubu-discuss] getting reports about new packages in ubuntu universe

Steffen Joeris white at debian.org
Mon Jan 15 23:09:53 CET 2007

Hi

> I like the idea of tracking packages in Ubuntu but not in Debian, but I
> think that it's more a human resources problem that a scripting problem.
>
> Actually, I wrote some scripts that already generate such a list, see
> http://tiber.tauware.de/~lucas/versions/all-packages.html (warning:
> big). Source code is available in the pkg-multidistrotools project in
> alioth.
Great.
> The list of packages in Ubuntu, but not in Debian, is huge (my page says
> 1766 packages). Most of them are false positives, because:
> + they come from unofficial repositories (apt-get.org), and cannot be
> integrated in Debian for licensing reasons (Ubuntu has a relaxed license
> policy)
> + they are packages for stuff that we don't want in Debian (poor quality
> software, very similar to stuff we already have, etc)
> + they are packages which were removed from Debian, but not from Ubuntu
> yet (Ubuntu doesn't process such removals automatically)
Thanks for the information, well if there are let's say 5 packages sent to
this list per day and keeping in mind that we have some people here on the
list who can track down 1 or 2 packages per day then it should at least be
doable for the future. Then it can be reviewed easily (reviewing 1 or 2
package descriptions and then a short look at the package if it is suiteable
for etch is easier than looking at the huge list).

Not sure if this idea suites everybody?

Cheers
Steffen