[Utnubu-discuss] Problem with Utnubu mirror of patches.ubuntu.com

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Thu May 31 08:13:50 UTC 2007

Joachim Breitner <nomeata at debian.org> writes:
> Am Mittwoch, den 30.05.2007, 18:09 +0200 schrieb Raphael Hertzog:
>> Hello,
>>
>> today Utnubu filled the /srv partition on alioth.debian.org
>> consuming more than 50 Gb ...
>>
>> The problem is that a new directory appeared in the mirror:
>> http://patches.ubuntu.com/by-release/
>
> Thanks. I updated the scripts, but I wonder, is this service actually
> used? Does anyone know if we should keep mirroring and sorting the
> patches or not?

That directory is a relativly new and experimental service as Scott said
on IRC (full irc log available at
http://people.ubuntu.com/~fabbione/irclogs/ubuntu-devel-2007-05-29.html)

12:39 < siretart> Keybuk: It's hard for me to review your changes. I
surely want to understand and learn the devmapper/mdadm/lvm chaos, and I
wanted so see what steps you have done in the past
12:39 < Keybuk> why is it hard?
12:39 < Keybuk> you can look at the debdiffs, no?
12:39 < siretart> I'm currently downloading all past devmapper uploads
12:39 < siretart> a ready bzr branch and bzrk would have helped me here
12:40 < seb128> that's lot of extra work for little win though
12:40 < Keybuk> http://patches.ubuntu.com/by-release/ubuntu/d/devmapper/
12:41 < siretart> oh. I didn't know that url. that's indeed helpful.
12:41 < Keybuk> actually
12:41 < siretart> thanks
12:41 < Keybuk> http://patches.ubuntu.com/by-release/atomic/ubuntu/d/devmapper/
12:41 < Keybuk> even more helpful
12:42 < Keybuk> since if you look at the 1ubuntu4 patch, it's only the changes made from 1ubuntu3 -> 1ubuntu4
12:42 < shawarma> Wow...
12:42 < shawarma> that sure beats the crap out of extracting the old versions from launchpad and debdiff'ing them.
12:43  * shawarma feels really silly now
12:43 < siretart> too bad that I missed the announcment of the by-release directory :/
12:43 < Keybuk> *cough* err, it's one of Keybuk's secret little toys that he's not got around to documenting
12:43 < Keybuk> just like the e-mail interface that lets you subscribe to uploads per-package/per-distro
12:44 < Keybuk> e.g. subscribe to all Debian changes to a particular package
12:44 < shawarma> Sounds shiny!
12:44 < siretart> I'm looking forward to see that e-mail interface advertised :)
12:45 < Keybuk> involves my CFT
12:45 < siretart> CFT?
12:46 < thom> copious free time
12:48 < Hobbsee> now that's cool

If you compare the atomic versus the ubuntu versus the debian diffs, I'm
sure we can do some really useful things with them.

The atomic diffs are mainly useful for ubuntu devs to see what happened
between uploads. The ubuntu diffs contain the debdiff against the "base"
(debian) version of the package; the common ancestor. I think this is
what we are mainly interested in utnubu.

The debian directory are debdiffs of debian package releases. I'm not
sure if and how we can exploit them.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4