[Utnubu-discuss] Problem with Utnubu mirror of patches.ubuntu.com

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Thu May 31 08:59:32 UTC 2007

Hello,

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> >> The problem is that a new directory appeared in the mirror:
> >> http://patches.ubuntu.com/by-release/
> >
> > Thanks. I updated the scripts, but I wonder, is this service actually
> > used? Does anyone know if we should keep mirroring and sorting the
> > patches or not?
>
> That directory is a relativly new and experimental service as Scott said
> on IRC (full irc log available at
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~fabbione/irclogs/ubuntu-devel-2007-05-29.html)

Hey, this service could be incredibly useful for DD merging changes back
to Debian if they don't subscribe to the PTS with the derivatives keyword.

However DD are only pointed to the directory at the root. Would it be
possible to add links like this:

(or maybe simply directly store everything in the root with subdirs
instead of having a separate by-release subdir)

Another suggestion, enable http://patches.ubuntu.com/package
This can be done with a simple Apache rewrite rule:
RewriteRule ^/lib([^/])([^/]+)$ /lib$1/lib$1$2/ [L,R]
RewriteRule ^/([^/])([^/]+)$ /$1/$1$2/ [L,R]

> If you compare the atomic versus the ubuntu versus the debian diffs, I'm
> sure we can do some really useful things with them.
>
> The atomic diffs are mainly useful for ubuntu devs to see what happened
> between uploads. The ubuntu diffs contain the debdiff against the "base"
> (debian) version of the package; the common ancestor. I think this is
> what we are mainly interested in utnubu.

So the "ubuntu" diffs is what we already have at the root, except we have
them for older versions too. So it's not that new... however the "atomic"
patches are interesting as it enables the DD to see what changes has been
done in a particular revision by Ubuntu and it differentiates logical
changes in smaller patches, which is good.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog