[Utnubu-maintainers] dmraid

Zahid Chaudhry zchaudhry at c-s-p.org
Wed Jun 6 13:04:42 UTC 2007

Dear Utnubu Team,

I am writing to you with regard the possibility of
producing a paperback version of the documentation of
dmraid (Device-Mapper Software RAID support tool).
Cambridge Scholars Publishing is currently looking to
expand into computer software texts, and we are in the
process of setting up a new series of paperbacks for the
documentation of open source software. As you are no doubt
aware, there is a need for physical copies of
documentation, despite the ready availability of
e-versions. We believe it is in the interests of all
concerned to know that hard copies are available and in
the longer term, the ability for libraries to make
purchases of the documentation ensures that data is better
organised and accessible to more people than is possible
with online versions, though of course, for the majority
of developers the online version will probably suffice.

In the spirit of open source software, we have no wish to
secure any exclusive rights to do with this potential book
and have no objection to you agreeing to make the material
available to other publishers who wish to do the same
thing. We would also be happy to offer the same sort of
arrangement we do in terms of royalties and complimentary
copies as we do with our authors in the humanities and
social sciences, about which I would be very happy to
provide further information. These are not always very
much as our particular branch of publishing has very small
profit margins, but may nevertheless be notable if there
is sufficient demand for the book.

Regarding price, we expect to be able to offer for
purchase the average-sized man-pages for between £15-£20,
though obviously this would depend also on size and
potential market.

At present we are approaching numerous open source
foundations and would like to make this series quite rich
with a large number of titles and have as an eventual goal
the broader availability in paperback form of a
substantial proportion of the more common open source
software.

If this project is potentially of interest to you, please
do not hesitate to write back with any questions you may
have.

I apologise in advance for any cross-posting if you are
involved with other similar projects.

Regards,

Zahid Chaudhry.

If you experience any difficulty reading this email,
please send us an email to admin at c-s-p.org.
Cambridge Scholars Publishing Ltd is registered in
England. Reg. No: 4333775; VAT No: 828642212
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this
message do not necessarily represent those of Cambridge
Scholars Publishing Ltd. The contents of this message are
intended for the addressee only. They are confidential and
may contain private information. Cambridge Scholars
Publishing is not responsible for any damages resulting
from the unauthorised use, forwarding or disclosure of
this message, and will not be held liable for damages or
loss caused by any viruses.