[Vmdebootstrap-devel] --grub required, --extlinux not working?

Neil Williams codehelp at debian.org
Thu Dec 25 14:51:59 UTC 2014

On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 11:20:43 +0200
Lars Wirzenius <liw at liw.fi> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I atttempted to use vmdebootstrap from master of git (commit
> 857094af5a523d4e746cada537595f849f4281a4), on jessie, and had some
> problems.

OK, there are two problems here.

/extlinux.conf is not being created correctly, kserial and extserial
are not being set. I've got a pending fix for that.

However, it looks like syslinux support has changed and mbr is now
required for extlinux, at least in my testing.

So if mbr is installed (in my tests, this works even after the image is
built), it boots but you won't see serial output. With the fix to
extlinux.conf, serial should come back. I'm testing with qemu:

qemu-system-x86_64 -machine accel=kvm:tcg -m 4096 -smp 2 -nographic
-hda test.img

2014-12-25 14:43:28 DEBUG Config:
[config]
output =
log = test.log
log-level = debug
log-max = 0
log-keep = 10
log-mode = 0600
dump-memory-profile = simple
memory-dump-interval = 300
verbose = True
image = test.img
size = 2000000000
bootsize = 0
boottype = ext2
bootoffset = 0
part-type = msdos
foreign =
variant =
extlinux = True
tarball =
apt-mirror =
mirror = http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/debian
arch = amd64
distribution = jessie
package =
custom-package =
no-kernel = False
enable-dhcp = True
root-password =
lock-root-password = False
customize =
hostname = debian
user =
serial-console = True
serial-console-command = /sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100
sudo = False
owner = neil
squash = False
configure-apt = False