[Vmdebootstrap-devel] --grub required, --extlinux not working?

Lars Wirzenius liw at liw.fi
Fri Dec 26 17:39:28 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 02:51:59PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 11:20:43 +0200
> Lars Wirzenius <liw at liw.fi> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I atttempted to use vmdebootstrap from master of git (commit
> > 857094af5a523d4e746cada537595f849f4281a4), on jessie, and had some
> > problems.
>
> OK, there are two problems here.
>
> /extlinux.conf is not being created correctly, kserial and extserial
> are not being set. I've got a pending fix for that.

I've never needed to set kserial and extserial in extlinux.conf. Note
that I don't use the serial console emulation in virtualisation. I
don't run qemu, I create a VM with virt-manager for libvirtd, and that
emulates the hardware console so that a serial console isn't needed.

I'd prefer to not have serial consoles turned on by default, but I
could live with that, as long as the serial console can be turned off
with another vmdebootstrap option.

> However, it looks like syslinux support has changed and mbr is now
> required for extlinux, at least in my testing.

In that case, we'll need to make --extlinux turn on --mbr as well, I
guess.

I'll try --extlinux --mbr and see if that works for me.

--
http://gtdfh.branchable.com/ -- GTD for hackers
http://obnam.org/ -- HAVE YOU BACKED UP TODAY?