[Webmin-maintainers] webmin co-maintenance maybe adoption

Andreas Schuldei andreas@schuldei.org
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:03:52 +0100

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 09:38:27PM +0100, Arthur Korn wrote:
> Hi
>
> [I'm subscribed to webmin-maintainers, no need for Cc]
>
> Andreas Schuldei schrieb:
> Hmm, so what would that mean? Just killing the & on subroutines,
> introducing prototypes, using real modules and namespaces
> (webmin does something strange when one module uses another I
> remember, didn't use that for some time),

if you mean using "my" instead of "local", yes. what did you
think regarding namespaces, otherwise?

> or even going OO?

i would like to do that at some point, but not right away.

i think one could reduce the webmin codebase somewhat if one
could use CGI.pm instead of all the homegrown code. and it might
get a whole lot more secure.

> Making things strict-clean would be desirable.

yes.

> Generally I think just porting webmin 1 to perl5 maybe isn't
> such a great idea, since we can change hardly anything without
> breaking all the 3rd party modules out there.

well, webmin is allready now not perl4 compatible any more. did
you think that would break the 3rd party modules or going OO?

> > are you willing to work on this, too?
>
> I'd be willing to help on small changes with immediate value
> without sacrifiying module-compatibility, such as making things
> strict-clean to simplify error-catching, maybe even start using
> tainting, coming up with a usable HTML "widget set" library (I
> coded something in that direction for webmin-afbackup which
> saved me tons of nerves, I could come up with something even
> more useful).

yes, we would want to start nice and slow.

> As for the big changes: It would probably make for an
> interesting project but I lack time and motivation for that.

understandable. you would not be alone on it, though.