[Women-website] Progress Report

Jutta Wrage jw@witch.westfalen.de
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 22:51:10 +0200

--Apple-Mail-19-937483915

--Apple-Mail-18-937483909

hmm... the mailing list settings have been changed to normal behavior
without announcement to the list.

Am Donnerstag, 31.03.05 um 05:45 Uhr schrieb Erinn Clark:

> How is webmail beneficial? A mailing list can be setup on alioth for
> submissions for the dict, fwiw. I wouldn't mind setting up such a
> thing.

- The user can make input directly, if visiting the pages (the
interface was used several times already)
- For a mailing list a mailto-Link on the pages would be needed and
that list would be spammed after a short time
- The Web interfaces allows to transfer new entries ready for editing
(that one making the entry on the page does not have to care about
format)

>> - - There was a question about the debian women pages included into
>> the
>> main debian pages. But currently it does look _very_different.
>> (corporate identity).
>
> Yeah, but the Debian website is ugly and ours is not. We also lose some
> control over stuff if we integrate with the main site.

That is your opinion. I do not think www.d.o does look "ugly". To see,
that the project belogs to Debian, it would be a good idea not to have
a really different look and feel.

> Eh? I don't see how changing the format of the dicts changes how people
> submit things to you.

If people submit things to me, they will not go into arch, where I have
no access to. They will have to ask for access or find someone with
access. It wpuld have been better to use cvs which is a kind of
standard for Debian (or the new subversion).

>  It does make it difficult for anyone else in DW to
> change anything since the dicts are _completely_ non-standard compared
> to the
> rest of the website.

I remember making pages that looked similar to the website. And I do
not remember getting a bug report or an announcment of the kind of
changes. About the php: I so not know php and it would take some time
to change the program to make it able to create php pages. Beside that
the dicts have been on my homepage only for a long time. And there is
no php.

> I would prefer them to be managed the same way the rest of the website
> is
> managed.

How is the rest managed? where are the cron jobs for the make? where is
the description of all those things? Or do you just mean the arch
revisioning system?

As said in another mail: Everyone is free to take over the work and
then do what they want. I have uploaded the newest makedictutf8.pl
(sources for the dicts and configuration files are already available on
alioth).

The dicts are not untouchable. But the script currently cannot be run
on alioth.

I have no Idea yet how to solve that problem. If you have an Idea,
please tell, but be concrete. I have no idea, how to solve the problem.

greetings

Jutta

--
http://www.witch.westfalen.de