[Yaird-devel] Booting fails after moving to another hardware: unable to find root partition

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Mar 21 11:22:08 UTC 2006

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:05:36 +0100
Reiner Nix <reiner.nix at web.de> wrote:

> after moving the contents of my root partition to another host,
> the root partition ist not found while booting.

> What is the best practice to get the host booting?
> Probably, I need to create a new inital ram disk, how to do this in
> this environment?

Sorry for the late response.

This is a known limitation of yaird: The initial ramdisk is optimized
for your current hardware setup only. So if changing things around you
need to regenerate your ramdisk (easiest done with the command
dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.15-1-486 (or whatever the name of your
kernel package).

 - Jonas