[Yaird-devel] Booting fails after moving to another hardware: unable to find root partition

Reiner Benedikt Nix reiner.nix at web.de
Tue Mar 21 22:08:50 UTC 2006

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Problem for using dpkg-reconfigure: as on the new hardware the system is yet
not running, regeneration cannot determine the targent hardware and vice
versa :-(

Fo me it was sufficient to regenerate the initial ram disk manually. Of course
I need the SATA driver to access the hard disk. Otherwise it seemed to be
enough to just changing the root partition name. Funtunately, the generated
initial ram disk has a very clear structure, so applying the change could be
done easily.

It would be nice, if the root partition name passed as boot parameter could be
used. This would be helpfull as I use to make copies of the root partition
for backup purpose, regularly on the same hardware but on another hard disk.

Reiner