[Yaird-devel] yaird backporting problems

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Sep 27 22:07:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:24:06 -0300 Caio Begotti wrote:

> Please keep me Cc:'ed since I'm not subscribed to this list... and my
> apologies to Jonas S. for sending him this mail in private, which now
> I understand was a bad idea, but I thought it was ok since his the
> current maintainer.

Hi again :-)

> I'm trying to backport yaird to use it in the Sarge installer. It
> seems okay, despite the error about not finding the /sys/block, which
> I simply "skipped" by just mounting it manually, at installation time.
>
> Dirty workaround found... I added a mount command in the top of
> preinst file in the kernel package so /sys get mounted by force and
> yaird don't crash creating the initrd. I suppose it won't hurt to
> include a mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys in one of those Perl script.

If /sys is not mounted there might be som obscure but good reason for
it. Yaird avoids doing mounts while scanning the system.

Great that you found a way to make yaird work with an old installer not
prepared for it. But I tend to disagree with including the "hack" with
yaird - to me it sounds like best belonging to the debian-isntaller
package or some local hook (I am not familiar with the inner details
of debian-installer).

:-)

 - Jonas