[Yaird-devel] Not finding cd-dvd rom (hda)?

Javier Vasquez jevv.cr at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 07:02:13 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Javier Vasquez <jevv.cr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>No, I don't.  Problem is that I'm left without CDrom forever.  Loading
>>>the cdrom modules with modprobe afterwords works, but still NO hda
>>>device shows up.  It's like the CDrom was hidding somehow...
>>

>> 1) bootstrap with initramfs-tools or debian-installer, and do an lsmod
>>
>> 2) bootstrap with yaird, and modprope those from the lsmod one by one,
>> until hda shows up.
>
> I did that already, but just FYI, I'm attaching the lsmod output of
> the same machine after booting with both mkinitramfs and yaird
> images...  I included as well *.sort outputs for easier comparison.
> You can notice there's NO difference in the modules loaded at all...

>>>I thought there could be some configuration I could tweak to make yaird
>>>initially load the cd/dvd rom device, since that's the only difference
>>>I could think of between mkinitramfs and yaird...
>>
>> There is: /etc/yaird/Default.cfg (add some MODULE line)
>
> Yes I looked at it, but I couldn't tell just by looking at it whether
> by adding a module there, then I could get the module added by the
> image, or just added afterwords like udev does with /etc/modules,
> since I'm already adding everything necessary for cd/dvd rom under
> /etc/modules (I'm attaching it as well).

>> If bootstrapping with yaird somehow blocks the possibility of later
>>
>> I am pretty sure that is not the case, however.  But you insist that to
>> be the case.
>
> No I don't, :).  I'm not inclined to file bugs without errors, and
> even less if there might be a configuration tweak to perform.  Can I
> just add to /etc/yaird/Default.cfg:
>
> OPTIONAL MODULE ide-generic
> OPTIONAL MODULE ide-disk
> OPTIONAL MODULE ide-cd
>
> without modifying anything else?  If so, what would be the effect of
> those additions (wondering if the same as having them under
> /etc/modules)?
>
>> Right now we are discussing a (claimed) bug, outside the Bug Tracking
>> System.  Which is bad for all those(?) having same problem and looking
>> for discussions about it in the Bug Tracking System!
>>

> I understand, but I was used to consider the distribution lists
> messages documentation as well, so when a search under google I can
> get answers, :).  I looked at the other thread as well, which I think
> is going under the debian-user list.  Although I think the issue is
> different there (I might be wrong though).
>
> Before filing anything, could you help me one more time just to
> clarify the idea of modifying /etc/yaird/Default.cfg vs. having those
> same modules under /etc/modules?
>

>>  - Jonas
>
> Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your time and patience...  If by
> adding the modules in /etc/yaird/Default.cfg, instead of having them
> under /etc/modules I get the expected results, then I'll file a bug,
> even if there's no bug around, so that others don't suffer the same,
> however I haven't tried that yet, :).
>
> --
> [...]

OK, I tried already adding the mentioned "OPTIONAL MODULE" modules,
and this worked as expected...  I don't know what's the problem that
although the right modules are loaded after boot with the initrd
image, the cd/dvd device doesn't show up.  But by loading the same
modules on the initrd image itself solves the problem (that was
expected since that's what mkinitramfs does, and it works for it).

So I'll see if I can file a bug, :).  At least I got yaird working on
this other box as well...

Thanks,

--
Javier