[Yaird-devel] Not finding cd-dvd rom (hda)?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Aug 3 10:08:45 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 01:02:13AM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:

>>> If bootstrapping with yaird somehow blocks the possibility of later
>>>
>>> I am pretty sure that is not the case, however.  But you insist that
>>> to be the case.
>>
>> No I don't, :).  I'm not inclined to file bugs without errors, and
>> even less if there might be a configuration tweak to perform.

The *only* purpose of yaird is reach rootfs.  It should *not* interfere
with other parts of the system.

So when you insist that the use of yaird cause problems with other parts
of the system, you are talking about a bug (in either yaird or the
kernel).

>> Can I
>> just add to /etc/yaird/Default.cfg:
>>
>> OPTIONAL MODULE ide-generic
>> OPTIONAL MODULE ide-disk
>> OPTIONAL MODULE ide-cd
>>
>> without modifying anything else?

Yes.

>> If so, what would be the effect of those additions (wondering if the
>> same as having them under /etc/modules)?

Then those modules are included in the ramdisk and loaded by yaird
_before_ mounting rootfs.

Modules in /etc/modules gets loaded later by module-init-tools.

(or, at least that is the case for yaird - I believe the same was the
case in ancient times with initrd-tools, but I believe initramfs-tools
overrides the job of module-init-tools by including the content of
/etc/modules inside its ramdisk and loading it before rootfs)

>>> Right now we are discussing a (claimed) bug, outside the Bug
>>> Tracking System.  Which is bad for all those(?) having same problem
>>> and looking for discussions about it in the Bug Tracking System!
>>>

>> I understand, but I was used to consider the distribution lists
>> messages documentation as well, so when a search under google I can
>> get answers, :).  I looked at the other thread as well, which I think
>> is going under the debian-user list.  Although I think the issue is
>> different there (I might be wrong though).

I don't know that other thread you mention.  Which IMHO pretty clearly
shows the problem of not using the Bug Tracking System to *track* bugs.

>OK, I tried already adding the mentioned "OPTIONAL MODULE" modules,
>and this worked as expected...  I don't know what's the problem that
>although the right modules are loaded after boot with the initrd
>image, the cd/dvd device doesn't show up.  But by loading the same
>modules on the initrd image itself solves the problem (that was
>expected since that's what mkinitramfs does, and it works for it).

Ok.

The problem is probably tied to your relying on ide-generic instead of a
more specific driver...

>So I'll see if I can file a bug, :).  At least I got yaird working on
>this other box as well...

Yes, please pretty please file a bugreport.  I recommend using the
commandline tool "reportbug to do so, available in the Debian package by
the same name.  That tool guides you through the process of filing a
fine bugreport, including a some helpful info about related packaged,
the version of your system and so on.

  - Jonas

- --