[Yaird-devel] Not finding cd-dvd rom (hda)?

Javier Vasquez jevv.cr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 23:56:21 UTC 2008

>>No, I don't.  Problem is that I'm left without CDrom forever.  Loading
>>the cdrom modules with modprobe afterwords works, but still NO hda
>>device shows up.  It's like the CDrom was hidding somehow...
>

> 1) bootstrap with initramfs-tools or debian-installer, and do an lsmod
>
> 2) bootstrap with yaird, and modprope those from the lsmod one by one,
> until hda shows up.

I did that already, but just FYI, I'm attaching the lsmod output of
the same machine after booting with both mkinitramfs and yaird
images...  I included as well *.sort outputs for easier comparison.
You can notice there's NO difference in the modules loaded at all...

>>I thought there could be some configuration I could tweak to make yaird
>>initially load the cd/dvd rom device, since that's the only difference
>>I could think of between mkinitramfs and yaird...
>
> There is: /etc/yaird/Default.cfg (add some MODULE line)

Yes I looked at it, but I couldn't tell just by looking at it whether
by adding a module there, then I could get the module added by the
image, or just added afterwords like udev does with /etc/modules,
since I'm already adding everything necessary for cd/dvd rom under
/etc/modules (I'm attaching it as well).

> If bootstrapping with yaird somehow blocks the possibility of later
>
> I am pretty sure that is not the case, however.  But you insist that to
> be the case.

No I don't, :).  I'm not inclined to file bugs without errors, and
even less if there might be a configuration tweak to perform.  Can I
just add to /etc/yaird/Default.cfg:

OPTIONAL MODULE ide-generic
OPTIONAL MODULE ide-disk
OPTIONAL MODULE ide-cd

without modifying anything else?  If so, what would be the effect of
those additions (wondering if the same as having them under
/etc/modules)?

> Right now we are discussing a (claimed) bug, outside the Bug Tracking
> System.  Which is bad for all those(?) having same problem and looking
> for discussions about it in the Bug Tracking System!

I understand, but I was used to consider the distribution lists
messages documentation as well, so when a search under google I can
get answers, :).  I looked at the other thread as well, which I think
is going under the debian-user list.  Although I think the issue is
different there (I might be wrong though).

Before filing anything, could you help me one more time just to
clarify the idea of modifying /etc/yaird/Default.cfg vs. having those
same modules under /etc/modules?

>  - Jonas

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your time and patience...  If by
adding the modules in /etc/yaird/Default.cfg, instead of having them
under /etc/modules I get the expected results, then I'll file a bug,
even if there's no bug around, so that others don't suffer the same,
however I haven't tried that yet, :).

--
Javier