[Yaird-devel] Not finding cd-dvd rom (hda)?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jul 29 17:48:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 09:16:00AM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 01:49:21PM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
>>>I have 3 machines running with initrd images generated by yaird, and
>>>I went for the 4th but yaird just doesn't seem to handle it...
>>
>> Do you need the CDROM drive to reach the rootfs, or only later on?
>>
>> Yaird only enables the absolute minimal to reach rootfs.
>
>No, I don't.  Problem is that I'm left without CDrom forever.  Loading
>the cdrom modules with modprobe afterwords works, but still NO hda
>device shows up.  It's like the CDrom was hidding somehow...

1) bootstrap with initramfs-tools or debian-installer, and do an lsmod

2) bootstrap with yaird, and modprope those from the lsmod one by one,
until hda shows up.

>it might be that the initrd image needs to load the cd/dvd
>initially for it to work...

That would be a bug in the kernel, then.  I very much doubt that to be
the case.

>Haven't anyone asked about this before?

Not that I have noticed. No.

>I thought there could be some configuration I could tweak to make yaird
>initially load the cd/dvd rom device, since that's the only difference
>I could think of between mkinitramfs and yaird...

There is: /etc/yaird/Default.cfg (add some MODULE line)

>Please let me know if you still think I should file a bug...  Please
>remember I wouldn't know what to include though, since as I mentioned,
>I don't get any errors, just the lack of cd/dvd device (should be hda,
>or that's what I get with udev after loading a mkinitramfs image)...

If bootstrapping with yaird somehow blocks the possibility of later

I am pretty sure that is not the case, however.  But you insist that to
be the case.

Right now we are discussing a (claimed) bug, outside the Bug Tracking
System.  Which is bad for all those(?) having same problem and looking
for discussions about it in the Bug Tracking System!

Even if this turns out to be a non-bug, others might still stumble
across similar problem ages from now - and search the archives of the
Bug Tracking System for possible answers to their problems.

As long as we discuss outside the Bug Traclking System, we make it
slightly harder for people to find this might-be-bug.

Don't know how I can spell it out more clearly.

  - Jonas

- --