[apt-proxy-users] Any thoughts on Bug # 409217 ?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue May 22 11:02:21 UTC 2007

On Fri 18 May, Chris Halls wrote:

> Hi Chris
>
> On Thursday 17 May 2007 00:13, Chris Bell wrote:
> >    Has anyone managed to confirm my suspicions about apt-proxy trying to
> > read the Release and Release.gpg files from /var/lib/apt without the
> > correct permissions?
>
> I've just read your bugreport. The connection failed errors are probably due
> to some internal problem, and you should see more information in the
> logfile /var/log/apt-proxy.log. Maybe you could post that?
>
> apt-proxy does not read any files in /var/lib/apt so this is unlikely to be
> the problem. The permissions under /var/cache/apt-proxy are very restrictive
> due to some other historical issue, which I can't find in the changelog at
> the moment.
>
> Chris

   Thanks for the email.

   I have tried updating apt-proxy from Sarge, re-installing from scratch,
and fresh installations on other boxes. A new installation often works first
time, either on the box that is running apt-proxy or any other, but then I
get error messages about the Release and Release.gpg files not being found.
I can see them being updated when there is a change on ftp.uk.debian.org or
www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.debian.org but I took error messages given
by aptitude to indicate that apt-proxy was trying to access /var/lib/apt.
   I have spent some time trying to find relevant error messages in the
apt-proxy logs, but have not yet found any. Apt-proxy is now only being used
by a couple of boxes still running Sarge, and for building CD images on any
box using Jigdo. Boxes running Etch, either fresh installations or upgrades
from Sarge, complain about the Release and Release.gpg files and report all
apt-proxy installations as unsafe to be used by aptitude.
   I have had notification that my previous email with attatchment was
greater than the standard maximum size, so I cancelled it and have sent this
reply.

--
Chris Bell