[Apt-zip-devel] apt-offline SIMPLE web interface

Pedro Macanas macanas_ped at gva.es
Fri Apr 18 14:14:42 UTC 2008

De: Giacomo A. Catenazzi [mailto:cate at debian.org]
Enviado el: jue 17/04/2008 14:00
Para: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
CC: apt-zip-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
Asunto: Re: apt-offline

>In this case probably we need two pages. one simple and one
advanced.  Also the mirror could be selected automatically,
but I had no time to look some free geo-ip packages (and to
include the debian mirrors in a database).

>Anyway, then I should do also an "advanced" interface,
allowing people to select other version (mixed distributions)
and mirror (bypass temporary broken local mirror)

Some additional ideas:

The user´s ISO code  of country  and of language  (see
http://codeigniter.com/wiki/Language_Selection/ ,
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-22-5069931.html ,
http://aruljohn.com/lang.php ) are stored in the web browser and can be sent
to web servers.

So, http://offline.debian.net/ could detect from the web browser (automatic
detection) the country code and fill the "Select a mirror code" field ("us"
by default). In my case, it would detect "es" as my country code (es =
Spain) and would add "es" to the "Select a mirror code" box.

* The command "apt-offline" (without parameters) would create a
packagelist.htm file (and rename existing packagelist.htm file to
packagelistold.htm ).

The user then would download the files and store them in a folder (the name
of the folder could be standardized by default).

"Apt-offline install foldername" would "apt-get install" all the files in
folder "foldername".

* See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticOffline about "apt-get
--print-uris".

* I would add "License" to the "Sources" header ("License and Sources").

* The nowadays only-text web page can be easily used in non-X web-browsers
(as Lynx). So, as a help when X does not work (the user has to employ the
console).

A more graphical version can be used also (I would add a Tux).

Regards.

Pedro.