[Apt-zip-devel] Exporting USEMD5SUMS

PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE macanas_ped at gva.es
Tue Mar 18 11:18:00 UTC 2008

De:  Eddy Petri?or
Enviado el: mar 18/03/2008 10:13
Para: Giacomo Catenazzi
CC: apt-zip-develAsunto: Re: [Apt-zip-devel] Exporting USEMD5SUMS

>>Yes, this sounds good. Still, the bottleneck here seems to be the server itslef. This would
definitely have to be account (or some other authentication) based in order to prevent DoS attacks.

>Also, apt-zip would be only responsible of creating a "local machine status" snapshot (states of the
packages+sources.list{,.d/*}).

>Still, I think this should *not* replace the current apt-zip-list and apt-zip-inst scripts until we
have something really functional.

To download, the server could generate an hmtl page with http:// links included to the mirrors with the packages

So, downloading would be very easy: one could also use a spider for automatization.

>> Because the server will be in a debian machine, I think
> coding it will be a lot simpler that actual apt-zip.
> The only problem I see: resources. The apt is slow and
> resource intensive (dependencies), and I've no idea
> on bandwidth.

>It depends on which packages are downloaded. We could impose a soft limit of (say) 50MB for a
apt-zip-server upgrade

Or include links to alternative mirrors (this could include links to debian mirrors ?).

Regards.

Pedro.